Just like with Matthew, I had contractions for months leading up to Jonathan's birth. I was on medication that kept them under control (much more successfully than Matthew) but I still constantly felt them. So when I started feeling some a little stronger than normal on Sunday, February 21st, I didn't think much of it. I tossed and turned all night, but didn't really worry. I woke up that Monday and decided to start timing them just to see what was up and they were somewhat regular and every 10 minutes or so. I figured this was still not too alarming, so I headed to work. I remember thinking as I was driving "I probably shouldn't be going into work today, but I REALLY don't want to waste a sick day if this doesn't turn into something..." I even emailed Zack that morning and told him what was up. His response was "Man, I hope he doesn't come until Thursday...I really need to finish up this project at work!" I told him I would do my best..... (Interestingly enough, he said the exact same thing the morning I went into labor with Matthew...)
The entire day, I struggled. I was super tired and the contractions were getting closer. I monitored them on my computer at my desk and stayed off my feet as much as possible. I was determined to make it through the day. By the time I left work that afternoon, they were coming pretty regularly around 6-7 minutes apart. Still, in my stupidity, I didn't think it was an issue. I didn't call the doctor and I didn't tell Zack to come home early or anything. I headed to bed around 9:30, but never actually went to sleep. Around 11:30, I came out of our room and told Zack I thought this was it. At that point, they were about 4-5 minutes apart. At midnight, we headed to the hospital! It was kind of fun getting there in the middle of the night because we had to buzz the security guard at the parking garage to let us in and Zack just yelled "My wife is having a baby!!" It was funny :) That and the traffic on I-10 is a whole lot better at midnight than any other time of the day!
By the time I got checked in and the nurses checked on me, I was 5-6 cm dilated and 100% effaced! When they confirmed that I would, in fact be there until I had the baby, I called my parents (in the middle of the night) and told them to high tail it to Houston! Around 3:00am, I wanted the epidural but we had to wait for my blood work to come back so we could double check that my platelets were high enough (I have thrombocytopenia or low blood platelets which can cause issues) This took FOREVER! But once I got the epidural, life was much better. I could actually talk to people, take pictures, watch TV and relax. But then things started to get frustrating...After already being in labor for like 24 hours, being almost 6 cm and having nice, strong, regular contractions...everything just stopped. My contractions continued, but stopped making any kind of difference. I stopped progressing almost completely. Around 9:00, Dr. Storey broke my water and started a little pitocin to get things going again. Thankfully, this worked and I didn't have to stay on the medication for very long at all. Finally around 11:00, I had progressed enough to try pushing. Which I did for the next two hours. Around 12:00, Jonathan turned sunny-side up and basically refused to come down or basically do anything helpful. So we tried the vacuum to help him move down, I moved positions to try and get him to turn a little more, we waited it out, pushed more....nothing helped. Ultimately, he started to get pissed off and let us know it. The decision was made around 1:00 to have a c-section for both his safety and mine. I was pretty upset. I had made it so far, only to end up in surgery. (This picture was taken right after the epidural...not after pushing for 2 hours...)

Once we made the decision, things moved very quickly as it was important to get him out quickly and safely. After being in labor for almost 28 hours at this point and pushing for two, I was exhausted. I basically slept through the delivery. I honestly don't remember anything. I was in recovery for almost 3 hours before being moved to a room and only then did I get to see my little boy. He was perfect.

After 4 days in the hospital, we were able to come home and start our new life as a family of 3. Looking back at the whole experience, it makes me so thankful for my less exciting and more calm delivery with Matthew. Obviously I never wanted to go with a c-section with either baby, but at the end of the day, I have two healthy, beautiful little boys and that is all that matters! Happy early birthday my sweet Jonathan Zachary :)


Sweet story :)
ReplyDelete