Thursday, June 28, 2012

Leaving the Ranch

(I wrote this on my last day of school but couldn't post it until my resignation was official. Today it became official. More tears.)

Since the day Jonathan was born, I have struggled with the desire to stay home with him. Part of me wanted to be with him every second of the day, but part of me still wanted to be able to work and get out of the house. Once Matthew was born, my desire turned more in the direction of wanting to stay home. I hated leaving my children in the care of somebody else, while I helped raise somebody else's children. It didn't make sense. So I started praying that God would provide a way for me to be with them.

And He did.

In March, somebody suggested that I look into teaching preschool part time. It would give me the chance to get out of the house a little, but the boys would come with me. I loved it! And to say that God's hand was in this situation would be an understatement. I contacted an old friend of Zack's who works in the Children's ministry at a local church and told him to keep me in mind if they had any preschool openings come up. He emailed back within 20 minutes and said "Katy, I'm so glad you emailed. Along with the addition of the infant class I decided to add another 4yr old class. I have been interviewing this week with little success. We are really looking for sound christian women who can lead our classes academically and spiritually as well as reach our families for Christ."

Are you kidding me? I couldn't believe how perfect this sounded. There was a possibility of a job, a class for Jonathan AND a class for Matthew. And ya'll....it worked out. Within a few weeks, I accepted an offer to teach a 3 year old class for the 2012-2013 school year. There has been a whole lot of drama deciding when to resign with KISD, when to tell friends and bosses, when to let go of Jonathan's spot in his amazing day care....But suffice it to say, it has all worked out. God is good.

And so that leads me to today. Leaving Morton Ranch Junior High. The only word that comes to mind is "bittersweet." I know I am moving on to a situation that is so absolutely perfect for my family.....but I did not want to leave. I cried all afternoon. I would be crying right now if I allowed myself the chance. I have been at MRJH for the past 6 1/2 years. I have taught with the most amazing language arts team, the most fun, silly and wonderful 8th grade team, and have had some great bosses. My MRJH family has been there with me throughout a move, 2 babies, unexpected bedrest, some really trying students and a whole lot of other life experiences. They have been supportive, loving, kind and so, so fun.

I spent the day today walking around the building with good friends, visiting with people in their classrooms, organizing my files and supplies that have carried me through the past 6 1/2 years and transferring important documents to my teammates so that they will not go to waste. I spent the entire day with one of my most favorite people, Kristin, and as soon as we started crying (which was early in the day) we would laugh at ourselves. Then we would cry. Then we would laugh. We were a hot mess.

And as I walked out of The Ranch for the last time, I walked out knowing that I was leaving a pretty special place. I knew I had made friends that would last the rest of my life and I was positive that my life would be forever changed. I am blessed to have spent my early teaching years in this place. It was crazy, super stressful, hilarious and wonderful and I am blessed beyond belief to say I am a Maverick.

My wonderful 8th grade language arts team! I will miss them more than they will ever know!
And now.....on to 3 year olds :)

5 comments:

  1. So glad that it worked out for you! Hope the transition goes smoothly for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3 year olds are lucky to have you and surprisingly it won't me much different from what you have been doing for the past 6 1/2 years. LMAO Miss you already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad it is now offical! We know this is something that you have been praying for, and I'm so glad it has worked out for you and the family.

    Now we will pray that your transisiton into teaching 3 year olds is smooth. They are lucky kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. God is faithful and he honors our desire to stay at home and raise our children. He will provide through and through.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katy! I am working in children's ministries at my church part time too! Just started last week, and it is amazing. You will love it. I got choked up during staff chapel thinking : this is part of WORK. This is so beautiful!

    I am so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete