I'm about to get real serious on y'all.
Lately, I have been hearing about a lot of pretty crappy things happening to a lot of my friends and family. I have friends who are literally desperate to have children and keep enduring loss after loss. I have one best friend who is losing her dear mother in law to a painful cancer. Another best friend just started the foreclosure process on her house because, after 2 years on the market, they just can't carry a mortgage and rent anymore. A sweet family member is dealing with a totally crazy illness which has sent her to the hospital for weeks at a time and she is only 16 years old. Another friend from high school had to watch her young baby go into open heart surgery recently. I mean, these people are going through some heart wrenching stuff. And some of them are going through it over and over and over again.
And yet.....
I have the nerve to ask my accountability group to pray for the discontent in my heart. I was feeling jealousy towards those who have things I want. A new car. A new home. Nicer clothes. A better looking booty.
What the hell is wrong with me?
I asked my closest friends to pray that God would help me be content with what I have. Not just content, but to know and feel truly blessed by the things He has provided. And y'all....it worked. These are some serious prayer warriors in my accountability group. For real. Even for such a selfish, vain, disgusting request.
Over the past few weeks, I feel like the Lord has used story after story to slap me in the face and say, "look at what these people are dealing with. THEY have reason to be discontent....now, shut your mouth and love on your babies." So I have.
Would I like a newer car. Sure. Does my car work, keep me and my babies safe, allow me to get to work and home? Yes.
Would I like a newer home with room for a game room and not as many projects on the to-do list? Yes. Does my home have a roof to keep us warm and safe at night? Do I get the honor of hearing my babies laugh and play in the back yard? Do I have a kitchen which allows me to make meals to nourish my babies? Yes.
Do I wish I could lose a little weight, look a little more toned, and have the newest clothes? Of course. Is my body strong and healthy? Does it allow me to take care of my babies? Does my husband think I am a hottie? Yes.
Are my kids a little loud, a little crazy, a little frustrating? Yes. Have I been given the biggest blessing that God can hand down? Are these little boys, MY little boys? Was I blessed to conceive them on my own and without medical intervention? Are the healthy? YES.
So, I am going to shut my mouth, accept these amazing blessings and praise God every.single.day. for them.

I was struggling with this recently and God has purposefully(is that a word?) planted situations in my life to show me how blessed I truly am. Thank you for sharing and being honest.
ReplyDeleteGreat perspective :)
ReplyDelete